Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Placements 2009
















Placements, in tradition of Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party, uses the dinner table and placements as a way to discuss the roles of women in history. But Placements, unlike The Dinner Party, focuses on the women in my family; my ancestors, my two grandmothers, my mother, and myself.

Placements explores not only how identity is constructed and layered, but, like your seating at a dinner party, the things that seem to have been decided without you. 

Also playing off the familiar experience of being seated at "the kid's table" I placed my dinner placement on a smaller table. The images I used for the other women involved mostly marriage and children, two milestones I have not experienced. By placing myself apart, I am questioning not only my status as an "adult woman" but the path to reach it.

It was important that I build the two tables because found objects carry their own meaning. The words on the table ( passages from the bible, quotes from books, news announcements) and the faint numbers on the wall represent for me the ways we organize our lives, through pictures, words and numbers. These allow us to place ourselves, in time and among people. 


Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment